08 July, 2009

page one

To begin blogging about my art activity, I must thank the artists and other collaborators who journeyed with me as the Bain Project dominated our lives and imaginations, September '08-May '09! I learned so much about you, myself, installation, Bain, ... and the role of patience and sheer will in the creative process. Whew! I look forward to future related adventures.

John Dancy-Jones deserves a special nod for his encouragement. One only has to look at his Raleigh Rambles blog to taste the infectious excitement he brings to all his interests. Thanks for your posts and documentation, John!


Let me single out John's photo of the oasis room which draws attention to the words written in chalk on the wall behind the pitcher. These words come from a list of goods traded in Palmyra, the ancient Syrian ruin. As mentioned in our interview on The State of Things, I wanted the oasis room to evoke, in its minimalistic way, great cities in the desert which, because of their strategic location near water and between major trade routes, were longstanding seats of power.

Water in this sense represents prolonged and robust cultural exchange which in turn promotes diversity, achievement, intellectual and aesthetic richness. I think some of our other work at Bain (the tank music, or 'ball room', for example) prompted these kinds of thoughts -- what extraordinary transformations the presence of water makes possible.

I'll soon be posting more images and notes on work including prints, works on paper, and work in progress. You'll also see my studio (beloved Blam!), learn about printmaking techniques, and hopefully find something to inspire you.

Thanks for visiting my cyber-atelier, and please let me hear from you!

Jen Coon

No comments: