14 August, 2011

'Pain' du Jour

work in progress

I've just made a 'cake of cakes' from thirteen bars (pains, in French) of something dear to my heart, Ivory soap. The title is Palate Cleanser, as in Calvados. The red piece is also soap, very aromatic and fruity, sculpted to resemble a tongue. Its intense dye has tainted the smaller white pieces at the top, which fall away from the centerpiece like petals. (Romantically representing loss of innocence?)
  


To be honest, Ivory's 'purity' marketing campaign made me hesitant to use it as an art material (is it endorsed by white supremacists?); but a friend convinced me that even if it were not 'pc' that does not mean I should reject it as an expressive opportunity. Over the past 130+ years, Procter and Gamble have pandered to woodsmen, nature girls and sweaty jocks; and Ivory's 'superwhite' image inspired a slightly lecherous lyric in this 1986 picture starring Tom Waits: Down by Law (trailer)

...yeah i'm looking for the coolest looking girl in the world

well they all look so good
just like my t.v. said they would
but i'd trade them all for the ivory girl
her skin is soft and white as snow
not an ounce of tan...
 
Ulterior Motives? I will, as an alumni of the Lucy Daniels Creativity Seminar, admit that making a Palate Cleanser from Ivory soap is probably a deep-seated reaction to a traumatic childhood incident in which my mom  raked a bar of it across my tongue for saying something horrible, which I have now completely forgotten. Hmm, maybe that was the whole point! Although I was not by any means an abused child, I do think this was over-punishment. So, I'm glad to be getting that 'pain' off my chest, if that's what this is about! In the meantime, wouldn't you know that chewing on soap has become a hot, new oral beauty treatment!

Ivory, it seems, inspires us. It appears regularly in the science laboratory (in addition to the lavoratory), and children around the world have learned a bit of chemistry with this experiment. (Here's a t.v. version in English). Soap crafts are fun ... and have you seen the carvings of Jay Leno and Lady Liberty? I wonder if there are collectors of nothing but soap art out there?!



Palate Cleanser, August, 2011
soap


1 comment:

Paige Layno Winn said...

The Lucy Daniels seminar sounds very interesting. This doesn't look like a very tasty birthday cake, but it is cool nonetheless!